Our mission is to create a supportive and encouraging community where writers can inspire one another to become successful authors. NCW is comprised of novelists, journalists, memoirists, poets, screenwriters, bloggers, children's book writers, and many more. We embrace diversity regardless of gender, sexual orientation, or race as we believe our individual backgrounds, perspectives, and passions help us create the stories we tell. We invite you to become a member of our community as you pursue your personal literary goals.
Chiaroscuro: An Anthology of Virtue & Vice
When discussing virtue and vice, it is easy to wander down the road of morality, though in essence virtue is simply the good or useful qualities of a thing, whereas vice is a habitual and usually trivial defect or shortcoming. One does not have to look too far in literature to find examples of both. Authors are fond of espousing the dark and light sides of both.
Perhaps most famous, or infamous, are the seven deadly sins and the seven heavenly virtues as defined by Christianity. These attributes have been explored in a multitude of arenas including prose, poetry, music, and screen. From Shakespearean dramas to serial killers in crime fiction to persecuted knights in anime, human fascination with virtue and vice, and the way those qualities play out in different scenarios, transcend culture and socioeconomic background, illustrating their timeless nature—their universality.
For our 2021 anthology, explore one vice or virtue using fiction, nonfiction, or poetry. It may be desired or even necessary to choose more than one of these traits for depth, but the overall theme of your submission should clearly focus on one main vice or virtue.
- Short fiction and creative nonfiction/memoir submissions should be a maximum of 5000 words.
- Poetry submissions can be up to 3 poems contained in a single file with a maximum of 10 pages.
- All submissions need to be edited and proofread prior to submission.
- Submit all files as a Word .doc or .docx file or, for poetry submissions, as a pdf (to retain formatting). The file name should contain the title of the piece only. Example: A Simple Favor might be submitted as asimplefavor.doc or a_simple_favor.docx.
- Submissions MUST NOT contain any identifying information about the author. Including your name, address, email or any other personal information will result in immediate disqualification.
- Multiple Submissions: Multiple submissions will be accepted, but only one per entry form.
- Simultaneous Submissions: Please, no simultaneous submissions.
- Original Work: We are looking for original, unpublished work only. Previously published work will not be accepted.
- Target Audience: This anthology is intended for adult readers. Submissions intended for children or middle grade readers will not be accepted. Erotica, rape scenes, or gratuitous violence are also prohibited. Some sex, violence, and profanity is fine as long as it suits the story. It cannot feel gratuitous or be included for shock value.
Do you offer writing classes and/or workshops? We'd love to hear from you!
Because NCW is made up of writers of various genres, we like to offer a number of different classes and workshops from craft classes to marketing.
All types of fiction
Creative nonfiction (memoir, essays, magazine writing)
The business of writing:
Query letters, proposals, synopses
Publishing industry and the various options
The NCWC is one few writers' conferences that caters to a variety of genres including fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and screenwriting. Because our conference tends to be smaller than most (around 200 participants), we are able to provide a more personal and intimate experience that many larger conferences lack. Our two-day event offers 30+ sessions, opportunities to get your work in front of literary agents and editors, and a 90+-page program featuring session handouts. A banquet dinner and afternoon lunch are also included. Our passion and attention to detail separates the NCWC from many other conferences, and brings back attendees year after year. We strive to offer a fun, high-quality experience for attendees and presenters because we know your time and budget is important (plus, we love a good time)!
We offer a variety of sessions at our conference.
- 1-hour informative sessions
- 2-hour workshops (with more interactivity)
- 4-hour intensive master classes
- All types of fiction
- Creative nonfiction (memoir, essays, magazine writing)
- Writing for children
The business of writing:
- Query letters, proposals, synopses
- Social media
- Publishing industry and the various options
- Pitching to agents / editors
- Self-publishing tools / methodology
Got something else unique you'd like to pitch? We'd love to hear it.